Monday 3 August 2009

Pig Palace

New Guinea Pig StyI bought my guinea pigs a swank new house on Saturday. Their old one was starting to get a bit manky and parts of the wood were starting to rot. Also, Martha and Jemima, the two younglings, are growing at a rapid rate and the old hutch was starting to become a tad cramped.

So they now have this wonderful guinea pig sty which is very spacious and best of all, the whole roof lifts up for easy cleaning and it makes catching the furry squeakers a much easier task too!

And yes, that's Jemima and Edith sat either side of the steps that lead up to their mansion. People always seem to find this amusing but my guinea pigs are free range. The whole garden is guinea pig proof with discreet bits of mesh and netting here and there to stop them escaping. I open the hutch door in the morning and they come and go as they please throughout the day and then in the evening I put their dinner in their house (fresh lettuce, carrot and apple every day) and they all head home and I shut them up for the night. Honestly, guinea pigs are the best pets - they don't bite, they don't smell and they're oh-so-sweet and very amusing to watch. Each one has their own little personality. I've kept guinea pigs since I was about eight and I'll be keeping them for many years to come!

6 comments:

  1. Awww! I love guinea pigs but we haven't had any for a while. I really should remedy that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaah cute! I used to have a guinea pig for a while too-they have cute squeaks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh very swish - it would lovely covered in polka dots :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i heart guinea pigs and yours are CUTE! Their new palace looks perfect, would love so much to go live with them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Guinea Pigs & I want at least one of my own...after I saw their secured yard I had ever intention of doing the same to our front yard...but keep putting it off...wow the two new girls have grown...how lucky they all are, a nice new home...you are the best mommy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks as if it'll last them for a while. I do agree though - it would look great in polka dots!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are much appreciated. Fire away!