Sunday 13 December 2009

Mince Pies

Homemade Mince PiesI got up early this morning (because it's that time of year when you just need to make the days as long as you can) to bake some mince pies.

A few weeks back I made some mincemeat and jarred it all up ready for the mince pie making so all I had to do this morning was whip up a bit of pastry and voila - yumma, 100% homemade mince pies! I've just had one warm from the oven with a cup of tea and I have to say they are a little bit nice.

If you're planning to make mince pies, give the homemade mince meat thing a go. It's dead simple, makes the kitchen smell unbelievably festive and tastes so much nicer than the shop-bought stuff.

Homemade MincemeatI used Delia Smith's recipe which can be found here and I stored mine in those lovely old-fashioned preserving jars with the metal clippy fasteners. I gave a jar to my sister Sally and I think she got more excited about the jar than she did about its contents!

If you click on the picture at the top of the post it'll open a desktop-wallpaper-sized image. If you like, right click the image and select 'Set As Background' and you can have Christmassy mince pies decorating your monitor screen!

3 comments:

  1. I soooo Adore mince pies! Thank you for sharing the recipe. We have a veg. garden in the spring and summer and do a lot of canning. I'm going to enjoy putting up homemade mincemeat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look absolutely delicious! My dad is making my mince pies this year and they're always lovely. Delia is my heroine, her recipes are so clear and tell you exactly what order to do things in. I am using tons of her recipes this Christmas .. the iced xmas pudding, onion and cranberry confit, glace fruits in madiera (hic, 'scuse me!) pickled pears (both of the last two in jars just like yours!) and I'm following her instructions for cooking a goose. All except for the goose has been tried in advance and are yummy! This is the first year I have done a Christmas lunch (we will be 8 on the day) and I don't think I'd cope without her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look yummy...
    have a great week...
    mona & the girls

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are much appreciated. Fire away!