Wednesday 27 October 2010

Stash Busting

Turquoise Lampwork Glass Beads
Yesterday I was sorting through my glass stash and I kept finding rods of glass that have been sat there for years.  I looked at them and thought 'Why don't I ever use these?' and do you know, I didn't have a decent answer for myself.

Actually, that's not one hundred percent true.  I kind of do know why I avoid certain glasses.  Some of them do things that I don't like.  Take Effetre Turquoise for example.  I rarely use it and when I do it is in the form of stringer.  I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've used it for base beads in my whole beadmaking life.  It has a tendency to go a tad streaky and it also has a habit of developing a grey metallic sheen which can make the resulting beads look grubby. 

But my reason was naff.  Turquoise is a nice colour and many people love to wear it.
Turquoise Lampwork Glass Beads
So I decided to make a set of beads out of plain, un-encased Effetre Turquoise and then I decorated them with some fine scrolly stringerwork in CiM French Blue.  Yes, the turquoise went a little streaky.  Yes, it got a grey sheen which I've now removed.  But hey - those are some nice beads, even if I do say so myself!

These will be for sale on my website at 8.00pm UK time tonight.  Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to dig out some long-forgotten glass and see what I can make with it .....

7 comments:

  1. I LIKE the streaky-ness to them, adds another dimension.....almost like marble....I think you need to embrace the streaky-ness! ;o)

    Lush colour too....all summer-ness!

    hugs

    hello gorgeous xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are really lovely, love the colour, the design, brill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are gorgeous - the streakiness makes them look aged, like beads from an ancient necklace - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know when you get that sheen on your turquoise beads you can soak them in lime away and it takes it off and Wah-Lah! Pretty Turquoise! Your beads are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everybody! Glad you like them.

    Karen Beth - yes I know. I favour Harpic Toilet Duck! :o)

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are absolutely fabulous. I've never seen anything I love so much.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are much appreciated. Fire away!