Thursday 17 October 2024

Instagram angst

Handmade lampwork glass beads by Laura Sparling

I made this burgundy colour by encasing a core of CiM Schoolhouse with a thin layer of Effetre Medium Amethyst 042.

Handmade lampwork glass beads by Laura Sparling

The decoration and spacers are Effetre Red Roof Tile 440. 

Handmade lampwork glass beads by Laura Sparling

The colours remind me of red wine and cinnamon so I called the beads 'Mulled Wine' and they're currently available in my shop.

I made an Instagram reel showing the encasing process for these. I am so torn on my Instagram usage because I'm not a content creator, video maker or editor and I'd rather be making actual things than digital content but Instagram are adamant that you have to engage with people by way of video and stories and if you don't play along your boring old 'legacy media' still photographs won't get served to people in their feeds. I'm trying to compromise by making the videos I want to make and the type of videos I like watching on there. I very much enjoy seeing people just make things without a load of fancy editing and text and superfluous 'stuff'. I don't want to fall into the trap of making the same kind of videos that everyone else makes because quite frankly they annoy me. All this staring at the camera while making something in an attempt to be all Nigella but coming off more like an unhinged sociopath, tapping your long fingernails on things for the benefit of ASMR weirdos, flicking caps and lids off pens and paint tubes (again with the long nails), pulling your sleeves over your hands so they look just-so, and slapping the term 'POV' on everything when 90% of the time it’s not a point of view video at all... it just makes me want the internet plug pulled. I know I sound like a moaning old bag. That’s because I am.

So anyway yes, I've put a couple of reels on Instagram this week.


Over the weekend I hope to investigate YouTube 'shorts' and see if I can put them on there too for the people who don't use Instagram. I'll let you know how I get on with that.


In knitting news...

I've started the second sock of a green pair I'm working on.

Hand knitted sock in progress

They're totally covered in cables and I'm very glad I can cable without a cable needle or I'd have lost my mind by now.

My new sock yarn arrived and it's lovely.

Malabrigo Ultimate Sock yarn

This is Malabrigo Ultimate Sock in 214 Magenta and 658 Zinnias. I just need to decide which one to use first now.

Right, it's time to get on with my Thursday. Hope you have a good one!

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Your comments are much appreciated. Fire away!