Friday 28 October 2022

Rings in rings in rings

Handmade chain maille copper Byzantine weave bracelet with patina by Laura Sparling

After my trip to the cemetery on Saturday I walked into the city centre, popped into a record shop, paid a visit to Fitzbillies for a couple of their famous and ridiculously delicious Chelsea buns, then caught the bus back home. At some point in that very small window of being out and surrounded by other people, I caught some kind of lurg. Four lateral flow tests say it's not Covid but I'm constantly coughing, sneezing and my energy levels are very low. Pre-Covid era I'd not had a cold for years so maybe it's just a bog standard one of those and I've forgotten what they feel like? Whatever, I've been next-to useless this week so not much beadmaking has happened.

However, I cannot ever bear to be doing nothing for long and if my hands aren't making something I get kind of edgy. I spent Monday in bed with a temperature but I wanted to be making something so I fished out my box of jump rings, grabbed two pairs of pliers and sat in bed making a chain maille bracelet.

Handmade chain maille copper Byzantine weave bracelet by Laura Sparling
'Byzantine' weave bracelet

The next day I lounged about downstairs and made two more bracelets and some earrings.

Handmade chain maille copper Byzantine weave bracelet with patina by Laura Sparling
'Byzantine' weave bracelet with patina


Handmade aluminium Shaggy Loops earrings by Laura Sparling
'Shaggy Loops' earrings

I've said before with regards to crochet, I'm very much a process maker. I get so much enjoyment out of the process of creating things that I tend to make stuff just for the sake of making it. This is fine but it means I end up with all these finished things – blankets, socks, doilies, jewellery – that I don't need and am never going to use.

Handmade aluminium Shaggy Loops earrings by Laura Sparling

Handmade aluminium Shaggy Loops earrings by Laura Sparling

So I've resurrected the chain maille jewellery page of my shop and put some of the items I've made for sale on there. Maybe there's someone out there who would like to give a bracelet or earrings a new home?

I've tracked down the winner of the last prize draw and I've figured out a foolproof way for how I'm going to run the monthly draws from now on. More details on that soon.

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Your comments are much appreciated. Fire away!