Wednesday 12 June 2024

Faffing is my thing

Handmade lampwork glass flower beads by Laura Sparling

I'm back into the swing of Ditsybead things. These little beads look simple but I tell you, the execution of them is anything but. If I don't place the dots just so, and if I don't heat them flush in a particular way, they just don't look right. Much faffing is required but that's the way I like it.

The beads that appear easy or effortless are often the ones that take the most skill and experience and it's very easy (and understandable) for non-beadmaker people to assume they are a doddle to make. As a maker I get way more satisfaction from crafting a well-made polka dot bead than I do a cat or cupcake bead but judging by the number of requests I still get for them, people seem to be more enamoured with the latter. I decided a long while ago to make the beads I want to make when I feel like making them and I know that makes me sound like a selfish twerp but honestly, if I'd stuck with making cat and cupcake beads I'd have ditched lampworking ages ago. Sometimes you have to be selfish, I guess.

Handmade lampwork glass flower beads by Laura Sparling

These two sets are Effetre dark grass green 024 and light teal 026 with flowers in Effetre white 204 and CiM Hollandaise.

I'm hoping to get a couple more Ditsybead sets made this week and then they'll all be for sale in my webshop, probably late Friday afternoon.

I set fire to my cardigan yesterday. While I was wearing it. A glass rod popped in the flame and I could smell this lingering weird whiff and I looked everywhere trying to find out what was melting and it took about five minutes for me to realise it was my cardigan. It's one that I knitted a few months ago that I've practically lived in since I finished it, so that's annoying. I'll have to make me another and keep it for non-shed use.

Nothing particularly exciting is happening in the garden. The rose and hibiscus bushes seem to be settling in, the sunflowers are starting to go full Triffid, the tomatoes are still doing next-to-nowt, but...

Sea holly

 ...my sea holly has finally gone blue. I flipping love this plant. I don't know why it pleases me so much but it does.


In crochet news...

All forty-two sunflowers for the throw are complete and I've started turning them into squares.

Crochet sunflower blanket squares

I'm off for a tinned red salmon roll and a cuppa for lunch now and then I'll be heading shedward. TTFN!

2 comments:

  1. Love your sea holly. I planted it for the first time this year from bulbs and its so small right now. I can't wait for some flowers on it. Love your beads. I'm glad you are selfish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie!

      Well done on growing your sea holly from bulbs. I hope it does well for you.

      Delete

Your comments are much appreciated. Fire away!