Monday, 8 September 2008

Why 'Wine' Gums?

Wine GumsOn my way home from Cambridge this morning I bought a tube of Maynards Wine Gums at Waterloo. As I was munching my way through them I wondered why they're called 'Wine' Gums when they don't actually taste of wine.

When I got home I looked it up (aren't I a sap?!) and according to Wikipedia "the name comes from the lingering, subtle fruit flavours that make it similar to the experience of savouring a fine wine" and that's why they have the names of various alcoholic drinks such as 'Port', 'Claret' and 'Hock' stamped on them. So now I know!

3 Comments

glassbyjennifer said...

I'm the same kind of sap. What would we do without the internet? Those look yummy.

Laura said...

Well, it's nice to know I'm not alone in my sap-ness, Jenn! ;o)

Caroline B said...

Oh c'mon Laura, first cupcakes, now wine gums - what are you trying to do to me? I want sweeties now and there is nothing in the house to snack on except fruit...